Thursday, September 22, 2011

Full Swing

Harvest is in full swing right now. D has been working till 7am to 11pm if not later on some nights. Sometimes days go by that D doesn't even see H because he is working so much and I feel like a single Mom.  Let me say that it is tough so hats off to you single Moms...you ROCK!!!
Now back to harvest...Shaking is one of the first steps of harvest.  The shaker drives up to the tree grabs the stump with large rubber pillows and shakes the tree until all the nuts fall to the ground.  The force of a shaker is unreal, any near by houses know when a shaker is at work because it shakes with so much force that it rattles the windows and can sometimes even rattle the house! Below is a picture of D shaking a tree, he is not a fan of photos so I took this one without him knowing (hehe) so that is why it is a little far away.


D and his bro bought this shaker a couple years ago and not only do their own shaking but they also do custom shaking for other almond farmers to generate more revenue. I am sure other people would get a lot more in depth about this process but hey I am a also a mother and I can't spend all day in front of the computer...even though secretly I would love to.

Until next time...

1 comment:

  1. I'm in the Valley for a rare visit and have high hopes to see almond harvest tomorrow! WOO HOO!

    ReplyDelete